- The longest word in standard English dictionaries is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis at 45 letters long.
- The longest English word that does not contain the letter 'e' is floccinaucinihilipilification at 29 letters.
- Cabbaged and fabaceae, each 8 letters long, are the longest words that can be played on a musical instrument.
- Aegilops, 8 letters long, is the longest word with its letters arranged in alphabetical order.
- Spoonfed, 9 letters long, is the longest word with its letters arranged in reverse alphabetical order.
- CIMICIC and CIMICID, each 7 letters long, are the longest words that are exclusively made up of Roman numerals when written in upper case. Among words consisting of only Roman numeral letters, the "highest scoring" are MIMIC (2,102) and IMMIX (2,012).
- Overnumerousnesses, 18 letters long, is the longest word that consists of only letters that lack ascenders, descenders and dots in lower case.
- Lighttight and hillypilly, each 10 letters long, are the longest words consisting only of letters with ascenders, descenders and dots in lower case.
- Tittifill, 9 letters long, is the longest word consisting only of letters with ascenders or dots in lower case.
- Honorificabilitudinitatibus, 27 letters long, is the longest word consisting strictly of alternating consonants and vowels.
- Dermatoglyphics, misconjugatedly and uncopyrightable , each 15 letters long, are the longest words in which no letter appears more than once.
- Unprosperousness, 16 letters long, is the longest word in which each letter occurs at least twice.
- Esophagographers, 16 letter long, is the longest word in which each of its letters occurs twice.
- Discrete - discreet is the longest homophonic anagram (2 similarly pronounced words that are spelled differently but sound the same and are composed of the same letters).
- Redivider is the longest common palindromic word ( a word reading the same backwards and forwards).
- The longest words that are reverse images of each other are stressed and desserts .
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Monday, November 21, 2011
As my friend was passing the elephants, he suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from the ropes they were tied to but for some reason, they did not. My friend saw a trainer nearby and asked why these beautiful, magnificent animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away.
“Well,” he said, “when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it’s enough to hold them. As they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free.” My friend was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn’t, they were stuck right where they were.
Just like these elephants, many of us were brought up with a false self-limiting belief of some sort – ‘I’m not good enough’ or ‘why try if I am not going to make it’, or ‘success, riches & freedom are for the chosen ones’, ‘entrepreneurship is not for me’, ‘I’m only destined to do a job I hate & pay the bills’ and many more versions of this same belief that underestimates the capability, talent, and potential within us.
Your Attempt May Fail But Never Fail To Attempt
Friday, November 18, 2011
Thursday, November 17, 2011
A little boy went to a telephone booth which was at the cash counter of a store and dialed a number.
The store-owner observed and listened to the conversation:
Boy : "Lady, Can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?
Woman : (at the other end of the phone line) "I already have someone to cut my lawn."
Boy : "Lady, I will cut your lawn for half the price than the person who cuts your lawn now."
Woman : I'm very satisfied with the person who is presently cutting my lawn.
Boy : (with more perseverance) "Lady, I'll even sweep the floor and the stairs of your house for free.
Woman : No, thank you.
With a smile on his face, the little boy replaced the receiver. The store-owner, who was listening to all this, walked over to the boy.
Store Owner : "Son... I like your attitude; I like that positive spirit and would like to offer you a job."
Boy : "No thanks,
Store Owner : But you were really pleading for one.
Boy : No Sir, I was just checking my performance at the job I already have. I am the one who is working for that lady I was talking to!"
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Friday, November 11, 2011
A flood was threatening a small town and everyone was leaving for safety except one man who said, "God will save me. I have faith."
As the water level rose a jeep came to rescue him, the man refused, saying "God will save me. I have faith."
As the water level rose further, he went up to the second storey, and a boat came to help him. Again he refused to go, Belying, "God will save me. I have faith."
The water kept rising and the man climbed on to the roof. A helicopter came to rescue him, but he said, "God will save me. I have faith." Well, finally he drowned.
When he reached his Maker he angrily questioned, "I had complete faith in you. Why did you ignore my prayers and let me drown?" The Lord replied, "Who do you think sent you the jeep, the boat, and the helicopter?"
The only way to overcome the fatalistic attitude is to accept responsibility and believe in the law of cause and effect rather than luck.
It takes action, preparation and planning rather than waiting, wondering or wishing, to accomplish anything in life.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
One day I decided to quit... I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality... I wanted to quit my life.
I went to the woods to have one last talk with God.
"God", I said. "Can you give me one good reason not to quit?" His answer surprised me...
"Look around", He said.. "Do you see the fern and the bamboo?" "Yes", I replied.
When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed.
But I did not quit on the bamboo. In the second year the Fern grew more vibrant and plentiful.
And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo. He said.
"In the third year, there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I would not quit. In the fourth year, again, there was nothing from the bamboo seed. "I would not quit.." He said. "Then in the fifth year a tiny sprout emerged from the earth.
Compared to the fern it was seemingly small and insignificant... But just 6 months later the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall.
It had spent the five years growing roots.
Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive. I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle."
He said to me. "Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots."
"I would not quit on the bamboo. I will never quit on you. " Don't compare yourself to others .." He said. " The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern ... Yet, they both make the forest beautiful."
Your time will come, " God said to me. " You will rise high! " How high should I rise?" I asked.
How high will the bamboo rise?" He asked in return. "As high as it can? " I questioned.
" Yes. " He said, "Give me glory by rising as high as you can. "
I hope these words can help you see that God will never give up on you. He will never give up on you. Never regret a day in your life.
Good days give you happiness
Bad days give you experiences;
Both are essential to life.
A happy and meaningful life requires our continuous input and creativity. It does not happen by chance. It happens because of our choices and actions. And each day we are given new opportunities to choose and act and, in doing so, we create our own unique journey." Keep going...
Happiness keeps you Sweet, Trials keep you Strong, Sorrows keep you Human, Failures keep you humble , Success keeps You Glowing, but Only almighty keeps You Going!
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Have a firm handshake. Look people in the ...
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are rem...
In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance, who...
During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director how do you determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized....
What is Love? ---------------------- One day, Plato asked his teacher, "What is love? How can I find it?" His teacher answer...
Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds. You only lose what you cling to. Fill your mind with compassion. ...
In the weightlessness of space a frozen pea will explode if it comes in contact with Pepsi. The increased electricity used by ...
JANUARY: Stubborn and hard-hearted. Ambitious and serious. Loves to teach and be taught. Always looking at people's flaws and weaknesse...
Coca-Cola was originally green. It is impossible to lick your elbow. The most common name in the world is Mohammed. The name of all the c...
Read this question, come up with an answer and then scroll down to the bottom for the result. This is not a trick question. It is as it rea...