Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Saturday, April 24, 2010
- Never be awful to anyone, that person you were awful to may teach you the most.
- Always remember...you are a somebody, God didn't take the time to create a nobody.
- Always smile, you never know whose day you might be making.
- Never 'forget' to say hi to anyone, never miss the chance to laugh or smile, never get too caught up in yourself that you forget to help others.
- Never forget that you aren't the only one with problems, and most of all...never forget that when you feel like you only have one friend, that friend will remind you of all the others.
- If you forget about all the bad things in life, the good will take over.
- If fear is staring you in the face, close your eyes so you don't have to look at it.
- Be yourself, you can't be anyone else...The best you can be is you!
Monday, April 5, 2010
- In the weightlessness of space a frozen pea will explode if it comes in contact with Pepsi.
- The increased electricity used by modern appliance parts is causing a shift in the Earth's magnetic field. By the year 2327, the North Pole will be located in mid-Kansas, while the South Pole will be just off the coast of East Africa.
- The idea for "tribbles" in "Star Trek" came from gerbils, since some gerbils are actually born pregnant.
- Male rhesus monkeys often hang from tree branches by their amazing prehensile penises.
- Johnny Plessey batted .331 for the Cleveland Spiders in 1891, even though he spent the entire season batting with a rolled-up, lacquered copy of the Toledo Post-Dispatch.
- Smearing a small amount of dog feces on an insect bite will relieve the itching and swelling.
- The Boeing 747 is capable of flying upside-down if it weren't for the fact that the wings would shear off when trying to roll it over.
- The trucking company Elvis Presley worked at as a young man was owned by Frank Sinatra.
- The only golf course on the island of Tonga has 15 holes, and there's no penalty if a monkey steals your golf ball.
- Legislation passed during WWI making it illegal to say "gesundheit" to a sneezer was never repealed.
- Manatees possess vocal chords which give them the ability to speak like humans, but don't do so because they have no ears with which to hear the sound.
- SCUBA divers cannot pass gas at depths of 33 feet or below.
- Catfish are the only animals that naturally have an ODD number of whiskers.
- Replying more than 100 times to the same piece of spam e-mail will overwhelm the sender's system and interfere with their ability to send any more spam.
- Polar bears can eat as many as 86 penguins in a single sitting.
- The first McDonald's restaurant opened for business in 1952 in Edinburgh, Scotland, and featured the McHaggis sandwich.
- The Air Force's F-117 fighter uses aerodynamics discovered during research into how bumblebees fly.
- You *can* get blood from a stone, but only if contains at least 17 percent bauxite.
- Silly Putty was "discovered" as the residue left behind after the first latex condoms were produced. It's not widely publicized for obvious reasons.
- Approximately one-sixth of your life is spent on Wednesdays.
- The skin needed for elbow transplants must be taken from the scrotum of a cadaver.
- The sport of jai alai originated from a game played by Incan priests who held cats by their tails and swung at leather balls. The cats would instinctively grab at the ball with their claws, thus enabling players to catch them.
- A cat's purr has the same romance-enhancing frequency as the voice of singer Barry White.
- The typewriter was invented by Hungarian immigrant Qwert Yuiop, who left his "signature" on the keyboard.
- The volume of water that the Giant Sequoia tree consumes in a 24-hour period contains enough suspended minerals to pave 17.3 feet of a 4-lane concrete freeway.
- King Henry VIII slept with a gigantic axe.
- Because printed materials are being replaced by CD-ROM, microfiche and the Internet, libraries that previously sank into their foundations under the weight of their books are now in danger of collapsing in extremely high winds.
- In 1843, a Parisian street mime got stuck in his imaginary box and consequently died of starvation.
- Touch-tone telephone keypads were originally planned to have buttons for Police and Fire Departments, but they were replaced with * and # when the project was cancelled in favor of developing the 911 system.
- Human saliva has a boiling point three times that of regular water.
- Calvin, of the "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip, was patterned after President Calvin Coolidge, who had a pet tiger as a boy.
- Watching an hour-long soap opera burns more calories than watching a three-hour baseball game.
- Until 1978, Camel cigarettes contained minute particles of real camels.
- You can actually sharpen the blades on a pencil sharpener by wrapping your pencils in aluminum foil before inserting them.
- To human taste buds, Zima is virtually indistinguishable from zebra urine.
- Seven out of every ten hockey-playing Canadians will lose a tooth during a game. For Canadians who don't play hockey, that figure drops to five out of ten.
- A dog's naked behind leaves absolutely no bacteria when pressed against carpet.
- A team of University of Virginia researchers released a study promoting the practice of picking one's nose, claiming that the health benefits of keeping nasal passages free from infectious blockages far outweigh the negative social connotations.
- Among items left behind at Osama bin Laden's headquarters in Afghanistan were 27 issues of Mad Magazine. Al Qaeda members have admitted that bin Laden is reportedly an avid reader.
- Urine from male cape water buffaloes is so flammable that some tribes use it for lantern fuel.
- At the first World Cup championship in Uruguay, 1930, the soccer balls were actually monkey skulls wrapped in paper and leather.
- Every Labrador retriever dreams about bananas.
- If you put a bee in a film canister for two hours, it will go blind and leave behind its weight in honey.
- Due to the angle at which the optic nerve enters the brain, staring at a blue surface during sex greatly increases the intensity of orgasms.
- Never hold your nose and cover your mouth when sneezing, as it can blow out your eyeballs.
- Centuries ago, purchasing real estate often required having one or more limbs amputated in order to prevent the purchaser from running away to avoid repayment of the loan. Hence an expensive purchase was said to cost "an arm and a leg."
- When Mahatma Gandhi died, an autopsy revealed five gold Krugerrands in his small intestine.
- Aardvarks are allergic to radishes, but only during summer months.
- Coca-Cola was the favored drink of Pharaoh Ramses. An inscription found in his tomb, when translated, was found to be almost identical to the recipe used today.
- If you part your hair on the right side, you were born to be carnivorous. If you part it on the left, your physical and psychological make-up is that of a vegetarian.
- When immersed in liquid, a dead sparrow will make a sound like a crying baby.
- In WWII the US military planned to airdrop over France propaganda in the form of Playboy magazine, with coded messages hidden in the models' turn-ons and turn-offs. The plan was scrapped because of a staple shortage due to rationing of metal.
- Although difficult, it's possible to start a fire by rapidly rubbing together two Cool Ranch Doritos.
- Napoleon's favorite type of wood was knotty chestnut.
- The world's smartest pig, owned by a mathematics teacher in Madison, WI, memorized the multiplication tables up to 12.
- Due to the natural "momentum" of the ocean, saltwater fish cannot swim backwards.
- In ancient Greece, children of wealthy families were dipped in olive oil at birth to keep them hairless throughout their lives.
- It is nearly three miles farther to fly from Amarillo, Texas to Louisville, Kentucky than it is to return from Louisville to Amarillo.
- The "nine lives" attributed to cats is probably due to their having nine primary whiskers.
- The original inspiration for Barbie dolls comes from dolls developed by German propagandists in the late 1930s to impress young girls with the ideal notions of Aryan features. The proportions for Barbie were actually based on those of Eva Braun.
- The Venezuelan brown bat can detect and dodge individual raindrops in mid-flight, arriving safely back at his cave completely dry.
Labels: Amazing Facts
- The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
- Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms like fried bacon.
- Of all the words in the English language, the word 'set' has the most definitions!
- What is called a "French kiss" in the English speaking world is known as an "English kiss" in France.
- "Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
- "Rhythm" is the longest English word without a vowel.
- In 1386, a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child
- A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off!
- Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
- You can't kill yourself by holding your breath
- There is a city called Rome on every continent.
- It's against the law to have a pet dog in Iceland!
- Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day!
- Horatio Nelson, one of England's most illustrious admirals was throughout his life, never able to find a cure for his sea-sickness.
- The skeleton of Jeremy Bentham is present at all important meetings of the University of London
- Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people
- Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, everytime you breathe!
- The elephant is the only mammal that can't jump!
- One quarter of the bones in your body, are in your feet!
- Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different!
- The first known transfusion of blood was performed as early as 1667, when Jean-Baptiste, transfused two pints of blood from a sheep to a young man
- Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails!
- Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin!
- The present population of 5 billion plus people of the world is predicted to become 15 billion by 2080.
- Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
- Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian, and had only ONE testicle.
- Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.
- Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th."
- Coca-Cola would be green if colouring weren’t added to it.
- On average a hedgehog's heart beats 300 times a minute.
- More people are killed each year from bees than from snakes.
- The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
- More people are allergic to cow's milk than any other food.
- Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand.
- The placement of a donkey's eyes in its' heads enables it to see all four feet at all times!
- The six official languages of the United Nations are: English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish.
- Earth is the only planet not named after a god.
- It's against the law to burp, or sneeze in a church in Nebraska, USA.
- You're born with 300 bones, but by the time you become an adult, you only have 206.
- Some worms will eat themselves if they can't find any food!
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open!
- It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open
- The worlds oldest piece of chewing gum is 9000 years old!
- The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds
- Queen Elizabeth I regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not
- Slugs have 4 noses.
- Owls are the only birds who can see the colour blue.
- A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for 69 years!
- A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue!
- The average person laughs 10 times a day!
- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain
- A notch in a tree will remain the same distance from the ground as the tree grows.
- Banana oil is made from petroleum.
- 84% of a raw apple and 96% of a raw cucumber is water.
- The largest single flower is the Rafflesia or “corpse flower”. They are generally 3 feet in diameter with the record being 42 inches.
- Onions contain a mild antibiotic that fights infections, soothes burns, tames bee stings and relieves the itch of athletes foot.
- Quinine, one of the most important drugs known to man, is obtained from the dried bark of an evergreen tree native to South America.
- The rose family of plants, in addition to flowers, gives us apples, pears, plums, cherries, almonds, peaches and apricots.
- No species of wild plant produces a flower or blossom that is absolutely black, and so far, none has been developed artificially.
- Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
- The bright orange color of carrots tell you they are an excellent source of Vitamin A which is important for good eyesight, especially at night. Vitamin A helps your body fight infection, and keeps your skin and hair healthy.
- A plant’s stem appears and grows upward shortly after the primary root appears. It continues to grow above ground level.
- Water and minerals flow upward through the roots into the stem of the plant and then into the leaves of the plant.
- Pistils have three parts – the stigma, the style, and the ovary.
- Petals are usually colorful, and they attract insects and birds that help with pollination.
- Fruit is really the part of a flower in which seeds grow. Cherries, apples, and even milkweed pods are fruit.
- Buds are small swellings on a plant from which a shoot, leaf, or flower usually develops.
- The primary root is the first thing to sprout from a seed, and it grows downward.
- A seed contains its own food supply, which helps the sprouting plant as it begins its new life.
- Roots are covered with root hairs that absorb water and minerals.
- Grapes and clematis have stems that climb with tendrils, which hold onto a surface, as the stems get longer.
- The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning it's head are the rabbit and the parrot.
- A whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves faster than the speed of sound.
- "Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
- Snails produce a colorless, sticky discharge that forms a protective carpet under them as they travel along. The discharge is so effective that they can crawl along the edge of a razor without cutting themselves.
- The word "listen" contains the same letters as the word "silent".
- A hippopotamus can run faster than a man.
- The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is copyrightable.
- Electricity doesn't move through a wire but through a field around the wire.
- Hummingbirds are the only animal that can fly backwards.
- It is impossible to lick your elbow.
- All the planets in the solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
- Names of the three wise monkeys are: Mizaru (See no evil), Mikazaru (Hear no evil), and Mazaru (Speak no evil).
- A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
- India never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.
- Sanskrit is the mother of all higher languages. Sanskrit is the most precise and therefore suitable language for the computer software - a report in Forbes magazine.
- India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
- Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India.
- Twenty-Four-Karat Gold is not pure gold; there is a small amount of copper in it. Absolutely pure gold is so soft that it can be molded with the hands.
your body is made up of trillions of cells? Different parts of your body are made of different kinds of cells.
your brain is like a computer, and controls your entire body?
your heart beats about 70 times a minute, and each time it beats, it pumps about about a cupful of blood?
an adult human heart weighs about 10 ounces and beats over 100,000 times a day?
there are 206 bones in your skeleton?
about half of the bones in the human body are located in the hands and feet?
everyone has thirty-two teeth?
your muscles make up about one-half of your body weight?
if you were to remove your skin, it would weigh as much as 5 pounds?
about 70 percent of your body weight is water?
physics includes the study of light, magnets, electricity, forms of energy, sound, mechanics (studying the action of forces on matter)?
objects and people move and obey three basic laws of motion: inertia, mass and force, action and reaction?
inertia, the first law of motion, states that objects that are at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by some outside force? A ball will not move unless someone kicks it.
the second law of motion deals with the mass (the amount of matter in an object) and force (the action on an object)? A ball does not speed up or slow down all by itself because it takes a force to move it or slow it down. How the ball moves depends upon the the object that is used to move it, the force used to move it, and the direction of the force.
the third law of motion, action and reaction, states that for every action their is an equal or opposite reaction? A person on a skateboard pushes back to accelerate, and his push back on the ground sends him forward on his skateboard.
Isaac Newton discovered the laws of motion more than 300 years ago?
Have a firm handshake. Look people in the ...
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are rem...
In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance, who...
During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director how do you determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized....
What is Love? ---------------------- One day, Plato asked his teacher, "What is love? How can I find it?" His teacher answer...
Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds. You only lose what you cling to. Fill your mind with compassion. ...
In the weightlessness of space a frozen pea will explode if it comes in contact with Pepsi. The increased electricity used by ...
JANUARY: Stubborn and hard-hearted. Ambitious and serious. Loves to teach and be taught. Always looking at people's flaws and weaknesse...
Coca-Cola was originally green. It is impossible to lick your elbow. The most common name in the world is Mohammed. The name of all the c...
Read this question, come up with an answer and then scroll down to the bottom for the result. This is not a trick question. It is as it rea...