- A notch in a tree will remain the same distance from the ground as the tree grows.
- Banana oil is made from petroleum.
- 84% of a raw apple and 96% of a raw cucumber is water.
- The largest single flower is the Rafflesia or “corpse flower”. They are generally 3 feet in diameter with the record being 42 inches.
- Onions contain a mild antibiotic that fights infections, soothes burns, tames bee stings and relieves the itch of athletes foot.
- Quinine, one of the most important drugs known to man, is obtained from the dried bark of an evergreen tree native to South America.
- The rose family of plants, in addition to flowers, gives us apples, pears, plums, cherries, almonds, peaches and apricots.
- No species of wild plant produces a flower or blossom that is absolutely black, and so far, none has been developed artificially.
- Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
- The bright orange color of carrots tell you they are an excellent source of Vitamin A which is important for good eyesight, especially at night. Vitamin A helps your body fight infection, and keeps your skin and hair healthy.
- A plant’s stem appears and grows upward shortly after the primary root appears. It continues to grow above ground level.
- Water and minerals flow upward through the roots into the stem of the plant and then into the leaves of the plant.
- Pistils have three parts – the stigma, the style, and the ovary.
- Petals are usually colorful, and they attract insects and birds that help with pollination.
- Fruit is really the part of a flower in which seeds grow. Cherries, apples, and even milkweed pods are fruit.
- Buds are small swellings on a plant from which a shoot, leaf, or flower usually develops.
- The primary root is the first thing to sprout from a seed, and it grows downward.
- A seed contains its own food supply, which helps the sprouting plant as it begins its new life.
- Roots are covered with root hairs that absorb water and minerals.
- Grapes and clematis have stems that climb with tendrils, which hold onto a surface, as the stems get longer.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Have a firm handshake. Look people in the ...
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are rem...
In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance, who...
During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director how do you determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized....
What is Love? ---------------------- One day, Plato asked his teacher, "What is love? How can I find it?" His teacher answer...
Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds. You only lose what you cling to. Fill your mind with compassion. ...
In the weightlessness of space a frozen pea will explode if it comes in contact with Pepsi. The increased electricity used by ...
JANUARY: Stubborn and hard-hearted. Ambitious and serious. Loves to teach and be taught. Always looking at people's flaws and weaknesse...
Coca-Cola was originally green. It is impossible to lick your elbow. The most common name in the world is Mohammed. The name of all the c...
Read this question, come up with an answer and then scroll down to the bottom for the result. This is not a trick question. It is as it rea...