- The longest word in standard English dictionaries is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis at 45 letters long.
- The longest English word that does not contain the letter 'e' is floccinaucinihilipilification at 29 letters.
- Cabbaged and fabaceae, each 8 letters long, are the longest words that can be played on a musical instrument.
- Aegilops, 8 letters long, is the longest word with its letters arranged in alphabetical order.
- Spoonfed, 9 letters long, is the longest word with its letters arranged in reverse alphabetical order.
- CIMICIC and CIMICID, each 7 letters long, are the longest words that are exclusively made up of Roman numerals when written in upper case. Among words consisting of only Roman numeral letters, the "highest scoring" are MIMIC (2,102) and IMMIX (2,012).
- Overnumerousnesses, 18 letters long, is the longest word that consists of only letters that lack ascenders, descenders and dots in lower case.
- Lighttight and hillypilly, each 10 letters long, are the longest words consisting only of letters with ascenders, descenders and dots in lower case.
- Tittifill, 9 letters long, is the longest word consisting only of letters with ascenders or dots in lower case.
- Honorificabilitudinitatibus, 27 letters long, is the longest word consisting strictly of alternating consonants and vowels.
- Dermatoglyphics, misconjugatedly and uncopyrightable , each 15 letters long, are the longest words in which no letter appears more than once.
- Unprosperousness, 16 letters long, is the longest word in which each letter occurs at least twice.
- Esophagographers, 16 letter long, is the longest word in which each of its letters occurs twice.
- Discrete - discreet is the longest homophonic anagram (2 similarly pronounced words that are spelled differently but sound the same and are composed of the same letters).
- Redivider is the longest common palindromic word ( a word reading the same backwards and forwards).
- The longest words that are reverse images of each other are stressed and desserts .
Tuesday, June 5, 2007
Have a firm handshake. Look people in the ...
The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are rem...
In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance, who...
During a visit to the mental asylum, a visitor asked the Director how do you determine whether or not a patient should be institutionalized....
What is Love? ---------------------- One day, Plato asked his teacher, "What is love? How can I find it?" His teacher answer...
Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds. You only lose what you cling to. Fill your mind with compassion. ...
In the weightlessness of space a frozen pea will explode if it comes in contact with Pepsi. The increased electricity used by ...
JANUARY: Stubborn and hard-hearted. Ambitious and serious. Loves to teach and be taught. Always looking at people's flaws and weaknesse...
Coca-Cola was originally green. It is impossible to lick your elbow. The most common name in the world is Mohammed. The name of all the c...
Read this question, come up with an answer and then scroll down to the bottom for the result. This is not a trick question. It is as it rea...